Only sparkling wine from Champagne, France can carry the label Champagne.
Now, thanks to California legalization, only cannabis grown in famed regions like Humboldt or Mendocino County can be labeled as such.
But just like Gucci and Prada, counterfeiting cannabis brands is a global, multi-billion dollar business. The “Emerald Triangle” in California is America’s cannabis farm heartland—pumping out classics like OG Kush, Granddaddy Purple, and Trainwreck since the ‘80s.
For the first time, consumers can shop authentic product to support these farmers as they try to survive industrialization and consolidation.
California legalization Proposition 64 rules have taken effect this year, so the idea of “appellations” for cannabis like wine isn’t a pipe dream. It’s here, now. No legal cannabis product in California can claim a county on its labeling unless it’s sourced there. (Trivia tip: that’s partly why “hmbldt” vape pens had to change their name.)
Consumers can vote with their dollars for verified heirloom, regional cannabis if they know where to look. And one good place to start is on jars of herb with a “SICPA” stamp.
SICPA stamps help shoppers buy cannabis verifiably grown by old-school growers like Humboldt Sky of Humboldt County. (David Downs/Leafly)
This international tax stamp company, SICPA, currently runs the “CalOrigin” cannabis system in Humboldt, Mendocino, and Yolo counties — all cannabis cultivation heartlands and home to multi-generational growers that are sending product to legal store shelves. SICPA stamps securely track and trace craft cannabis from the hills of the Emerald Triangle to the sales register.
Here’s California Cannabis Stores Stocking Authentic ‘Humboldt’ and Other Counties
SICPA-stamped herb has been dropped recently at these dispensaries:
- Mission Organic Center, San Francisco
- M E Delivery, Bay Area
- River City Phoenix, Sacramento
- Golden State Recycling Collect (dba Brite Labs), Oakland
- Organic Cannabis Foundation, Santa Rosa, Hopland
- Satori Wellness Collective, McKinleyville
- The Humboldt County Collective, Eureka
- Green Spirit Mendocino, Point Arena
- Pacafi Cooperative, Modesto
- Holistic Healing Collective, Richmond
- The Grove, La Mesa
- Creekside Wellness, Boulder Creek
- Golden State Patient Care, Colfax
- Heart of Humboldt, Arcata
- Artifact Dispensary, Laytonville
Are we missing someone? Email California Editor David Downs at firstname.lastname@example.org